INTRODUCTION: Automation is a technology concerned with the application of mechanical, electronic and computer-based systems to operate and control production.
This technology includes:
- Automatic Machine tools to process parts
- Automatic assembly machines
- Industrial robots
- Automatic material handling and storage systems
- Automatic inspection systems for quality control
- Feedback control and computer process control
- Computer systems for planning, data collection and decision making to support manufacturing activities.
The scope of this text will be limited to primarily to automated systems used in discrete-product manufacturing. Examples of industries using these types of systems include: metalworking, electronics, automotive, appliances, aircraft, and many others.
Source: Computer Integrated Manufacturing NISTE Ministry of Education Government of Pakistan Img Source: smartlifeblog.com