One should always be sure that all guards are in place before running the machine.
2. Always clamp the work and tool properly with correct size of work and tool holding device.
3. Always keep the machine clear of tools.
4. Machine should be stopped before making measurements or adjustments.
5. Wear an apron or a properly fitted shop coat. Goggles should also be used.
6. One should remove necktie, wrist watch and jewellery while working.
7. One should not operate the lathe until he knows the proper procedure.
8. One should check the work frequently when it is being machined.
9. One should check the face-plate or chuck by hand to be sure that there is no danger of the work striking any part of the lathe.
10. Stop the machine and remove chips with pliers. One should not remove the chips by hand